PORT ST. LUCIE– Have you found a painted rock tucked away somewhere in PSL? Have you hidden one of these mini-masterpieces in the City for someone to find?
If so, you are part of the ever-growing rock painting/hunting movement that has spread across the Treasure Coast. And now, the City of Port St. Lucie and the popular Facebook Group “PSL Rocks” are giving the public more ways to join in the fun!
The City has partnered with PSL Rocks, which is a Facebook group where members can post photos and stories of their own rock painting/hunting adventures and give hints as to where they are hidden. Together, the City of Port St. Lucie and PSL Rocks hope to spread the positive energy and community-building aspects of this creative activity for all ages.
The City and PSL Rocks are kicking off a public-engagement campaign called PSL Rocks “the City.” This is how you can participate:
· Attend the City’s St. Patrick’s Day Festival on March 18th at the Port St. Lucie Civic Center. Following the St. Patrick’s Day parade at noon, the City will open a rock painting table for attendees to paint three rocks. We will ask the artists to provide two of their rocks for the City to hide somewhere in Port St. Lucie’s 40 public parks and recreational facilities, and they will get to take the third rock home to hide where they like!
· The City will hide all of the rocks collected during the Festival in City parks and recreational facilities. Since they were painted at the St. Patrick’s Day Festival, ten of those rocks will be “lucky” and worth a prize. Explore the City’s parks and look for the painted rocks. A full list of parks and recreation facilities can be found here.
. Once you find a painted rock, download PSL’s free Access PSL App. Take a photo of your rock and upload it to the App. Select the report type: PSL Rocks the City. You will receive an email letting you know if your rock was one of the pre-selected lucky winners or if you should keep hunting. Winners will receive instructions on how and when to claim their prize.
· Access PSL can be downloaded for free on Google Play or the App store. You can also participate online
· Winners will be recognized during a Port St. Lucie City Council meeting and receive their prize.
· After you’ve found a rock (lucky or not) drop it off at Port St. Lucie City Hall, the Port St. Lucie Community Center, Port St. Lucie Civic Center, or the Minsky Gym. All of the rocks collected this year will then be made into a public art sculpture as a part of the City’s history and be displayed in a public place within the City!
The City also is encouraging the participation of local schools. Any school that organizes a rock painting event can either turn their rocks into the City to be a part of the public art sculpture – or we will hide them for you in City parks.
The City of Port St. Lucie appreciates the participation of PSL Rocks and the local business sponsors. If you are interested in sponsoring the campaign, please call 772-871-5219 or email [email protected].
More details about this kick-off event and contest can be found at http://www.cityofpsl.com/pslrocks. Stay tuned to that webpage and the PSL Rocks Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/324164871315901/?fref=nf, along with the City’s Facebook page for more rock painting events in the future.